What is a Shopping cart software
What is a shopping cart?
: A facility on a website that records items selected by a customer for purchase until the transaction is completed
What is shopping cart software?
: “A shopping cart software on an online retailer’s site is a piece of software that facilitates the purchase of a product or service. It accepts the customer’s payment and organizes the distribution of that information to the merchant, payment processor and other parties.”
Shopping cart software is either provided by your hosting site or you can buy the software on your own.
What does shopping cart software offer?
The main aim of shopping cart software is to make it easy for you to manage inventory, fulfil orders, add or remove products to the cart, calculate tax, etc.
Whereas some software also offers the following features in addition to the ones mentioned above:
- Promo code – It lets users add promo codes, auto-apply codes, and special discounts.
- Payment models – Allows users to use different payment methods, for example, by now pay later, mobile payment, prepaid card payments, and many other such options.
- Data collection – Customer data is important for businesses, it delivers data to accounting, marketing, etc.
Shopping cart software makes life easier for the business and the users too. They process complex transactions into simplified user-friendly processes.
Ready to Chat About
Shopping Cart Software
Drop us a line today!
Types of shopping cart software
Shopping cart software offers different features and functionalities. Different web hosting sites offer different features and functionalities.
- Hosted shopping cart – these are owned and hosted by the hosting website where your business exists. They take either an annual or monthly fee to use their shopping cart software. They give access to various e-commerce features like hosting, bandwidth, managed security and perpetual software updates.
It is easy to use features that you don’t have to spend months setting up. Hosted shopping carts are now so flexible and evolved, that customization is uncomplicated.
- Self-hosted shopping cart – When merchants are required to host their Self-hosting your ecommerce site using open source software gives the merchant limitless freedom when it comes to the entire shopping experience.
On the other hand it requires a lot of time spent on the technical aspects.
About the Author
My name’s Semil Shah, and I pride myself on being the last digital marketer that you’ll ever need. Having worked internationally across agile and disruptive teams from San Fransico to London, I can help you take what you are doing in digital to a whole next level.